Friday, May 1, 2015

Final - Lab B

Hello all!

For the final assignment, I worked with a librarian at Hamilton East Public Library to develop a reading guide for Romantic Suspense paperbacks. The end result was a bookmark with a list that takes readers to a website with annotations, suggestions for authors and some fun websites to explore.

http://romanticsuspensesuggestions.weebly.com

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3XWdbVIqgZnelVLSm9uZ2xla1U/view?usp=sharing - link to the bookmark I designed for use in the library.

I wanted to add this caveat from my reflection paper as it was a slight hiccup in the process, so it's clear that this is not a permanent representation of the Hamilton East Public Library:

After this bookmark and website were created, they were shared with the Hamilton East Public Library marketing and community relations department for approval. At this point the website remains unapproved by that department, because they would like to find a way to incorporate this information into the main website for the Hamilton East Public Library system – especially since the library launched a new brand on April 15th and is eager to maintain a consistent brand and image. However, this project has sparked discussion about including more sub-sections of the website that are devoted to readers’ advisory guides and information. For the purpose of this project, I was permitted to create this website, understanding that as it is incorporated into the general Hamilton East Public Library website, the content will remain consistent but the web address and branding will be replaced with library-approved standards.

Hope you all enjoy - would love any feedback if you want to share!

Had a great semester working with all of you. Hope to see you in future classes, and congrats to those who are graduating this semester!

Jess

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your information about the discussion your project sparked. I would like to see more libraries do more to make readers advisory resources easily accessible to readers in their community.
    Over the years, many different employees at my library have made a wide range of bookmarks like the one in your project, and they just get lost to the sands of time after the printing runs out or a special display is retired!
    Last week at work, I started outlining a proposal for using our blog to archive RA materials created in-house as well as a permanent display space for RA. I'll be looking forward to seeing how HEPL approaches it on the website. (I'm interested in library marketing, like branding, so I had to take a look at the website when you said they recently launched a new brand. Looks nice, by the way!)
    -Laura J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura -thanks for the response! If you want to talk about branding, and especially our website, I'd be happy to talk to you about the experience we are having. The good and the frustrating - it's all encompassed. But I agree that there's a good product being developed!

      Delete
  2. I think that this is an excellent idea. I love, love, love that it takes you to a site with annotations. Will you guys be maintaining this now that you have it all set up? I intend to keep checking back in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate! Glad you like it :) I think in time this will be incorporated into the general library website so I am not sure if the site I made will be retained or if it will be absorbed. As I mentioned in my paper, there was a little concern about it being a separate page and with the new branding the library was concerned about it misrepresenting the library. So I will probably take this down following the class and give the library access to it to transfer information.

    Thanks for the positive feedback! I can tell them that my school colleagues like it :)

    ReplyDelete